27 July 2009

A scrap page


Today I thought I would show you a scrap page I did just a little while ago. I was lucky enough to have over 24 hours of uninterrupted scrap time with my mum and sister-in-law recently...only interrupted by sleeping and eating. Sleeping really gets in the way sometimes!

I scrap pretty simply. I've been scrapping for over 8 years now, and know what works for me, and what I want to accomplish with my scrapbooking. This is what my layouts looked like when I first started - ie. on white with just photos and a bit of colour. And I've come full circle. I've done the masterpiece pages (masterpiece according to me, not according to publishing in a magazine masterpiece), I've done the mini-albums, I've done 12 x 12 theme albums and I've done gift albums. I've done a lot of different types of scrapping.

And this is what I've come back to. This is what I want to do. I want to keep it simple - put the photos in, write the date and write the story. Sometimes I caption. Sometimes I type, print it out on regular paper and put it in behind the photos.

Chronological sequence is important to me. Seeing things from beginning to end the same. Chronological scrapbooking is an outdated approach in the scrapbooking world, but it isn't in mine.

Chronological scrapbooking used to suit everyone because we all had film cameras and we'd get our photos developed and put them in albums in that order. It was doable, it was easy. But with the onset of digital cameras the photo developing, and the scrapbooking, has changed. I changed with it for a while there, but I always kept up the chronological albums. I added to my scrapping and got overwhelmed with too many projects. Too many things to keep up with and it wasn't fun. It was ridiculous actually.

Recently I decided to just pretty much stick to my chronological albums (which I actually think of as my visual diary) and just leave it at that. Things may change in the future, but for now it's what I'm doing. And I'm okay with it. I like it. I'm happy with it.

It's been a scrapping journey, for sure!

So during the 24 hours of uninterrupted scrapping time I did 17 pages. Yay for me. What I didn't do was journal on them. Not yay for me. I always finish each page before I go onto the next page because of this very "it's-a-couple-of-weeks-later-and-I-still-haven't-done-the-journalling-on-those-pages" issue, but I ignored the issue and ignored the journalling. And now I have the issue! But in my defense have you ever found it easy to journal at the table when everyone else is yakking? No, that's right. It's tough. But I still have the issue! And it's not that I have a problem writing anything (as you can tell by these looonnngg posts), it's just that it's not done. But it will be soon. Issue solved.

Hope you love your scrapping hobby and aren't frustrated by it. Really hope so.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment!