16 June 2010

Some other bits from Granny

Just felt like sharing these today.

They're some other bits and pieces from my granny.

This is the custard jug that she used to use all the time. The handle has been broken a few times, and fixed, so it was obviously much loved.

So glad I have this jug. I just love it. It sits on our dresser with those flowers in it and makes me very happy.

Here's the jug again in the way Granny used to use it.

It was her custard jug like I said and she would put the warm custard in it and then put that thingo on the top (what are they called?) and leave it on the kitchen table (the one with the funky orange chairs) to cool.

I used to love walking into her kitchen and seeing the custard jug with the thingo on top. She'd always serve the custard with stewed apple. I do the same because of her. Make custard from scratch (ie. from custard powder, not complete scratch, but I make it) and stew apple to go with it. So old fashioned and sooo good!

I must move the nutmeg and the cinnamon around in the spice rack because I can't tell you how many times I've put nutmeg in the stewed apple instead of the cinnamon! Wash the apple, start again. Yep, I've done it.

This was her custard jug too and it's my custard jug now.

The first one is too old and delicate to be of service in the kitchen anymore, so this one gets all the use. It's obviously more modern than than the other one, but I love them both.

Now, what about these?

They're actually plastic sort of, not crystal. I was so lucky to get these. How did I get them and my sister didn't? She's all over the tea at Granny's house too, so lucky me.

Anyway, they're the creamer and the sugar bowl (it's at the back and has two handles). They were on the table whether it was a special occasion or not. Loved that. They're so her and I'm glad I have them.

And to finish, what about some old photos of my lovely granny when she wasn't a granny?

This was taken in 1925.

Oh my goodness, don't you love it? Imagine wearing all those clothes!

Granny is the little one - she's five and on her way overseas (from Australia). Wow! Big trip for them all.

I love old photos...

It must be the day for grandmothers as Andrew's grandma is turning 100 today - wow, what a milestone. It's more than a milestone, it's a marathon-stone!

Happy Birthday, Grandma! See you at your afternoon tea this afternoon. I want to see your letter from the Queen!

Have a wonderful day crafting friends!

4 comments:

  1. Matchy Sister SuziJune 16, 2010 at 6:14 PM

    Hmmm yes how DID you end up with Granny's sugar and creamer?! So Granny aren't they! I always thought they matched her glasses - just a little bit posh! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, you're right, they did match her glasses! I knew you'd comment about me having the sugar bowl and creamer. Lucky me is all I can say. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm pretty sure the jug and sugar bowl are cut glass, they come from the pre-plastic era I am sure, and yes, just lovely. And love that custard jug and it beaded cover too. So pretty with the flowers in it. Granny would love that they are still be used.
    And congratulations to Grandma Vi, 100 years, wow.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the info, Mum. They are glass now I think about it.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment!