08 May 2013

30 Days - Day 8 - Procrastinating, Resting First and Another Way to Use Washi Tape.

I'm starting late today, it's 5:07 pm. 

I should've been here 12 hours and seven minutes ago, but I turned the alarm clock off in the middle of the night because I kept waking up (as you do when you know you've gotta get up early in the morning). 

Anyway, I'm here now and we'll see what happens. 

Firstly, I'm such a procrastinator!

Anyone else the same? Gosh, it's so annoying sometimes. And I don't just put off doing the things I don't want to do, I put off doing the things I do want to do, too. What's with that??

Today I was going to hit three of my favourite things for half an hour each before I started writing (when I supposedly got up at 5 am). I use the word 'hit' to say that I was going to do them or spend time on them. I don't know, when I talk to myself in my head about what I'm going to do in a day, I talk like that. I'm going to hit all these things today (so I feel like I've done a few things). It's just the way I plan in my head. 

Anyway, I envisioned myself getting up in the dark, putting the timer on for 30 mins and starting with my photos. I was going to move onto my cross stitch and then onto my desk to have a bit of fun with some washi tape. 

Didn't happen. 

Well, it did, but not until 3:30 pm or so. 

I put them off for whatever reasons and then found myself not wanting to do them at all. I was running out of time. I hadn't done my writing for the day, which meant I couldn't rest. 

Why rest first, though? It's weird; don't we work first and then rest second?

(I saw the craft time as rest time)

Um no. I actually read a devotion years ago about God's view of rest and restoration.   

We're supposed to view night time as the rest time, and the preparation for the next day, not for the hours preceding it. 

Does that make sense?

Um, hang on, I'll explain - I'm going off a vague memory of the devotion here, but I remember really agreeing with it at the time. 

We get up, we work, we come home at night to rest and recover from that day. 

The devotion said that God's view is that the 'day' starts at the night time. The night time is the rest time, the preparation time, the repair time for the day coming. 

Rest first, work second.

Rest first, work second. 

Rest first, work second. 

If you rest first you've got something to give when you work. You work, you give it out, and then you come home and get replenished for the next day. 

If you work first you've got nothing to give. You're not prepared...hold it, hold it. I'm going to change these sentences, I'm talking about me here, not you (I don't want to assume that you've got a problem with work and play) - I just want to put myself in the sentence to guide my future behaviour. 

Rest first, work second. 

If I rest first I've got something to give when I work. I work, I give it out, and then I come home and get replenished for the next day. 

If I work first I've got nothing to give. I'm not prepared, I'm not rested and I'm not ready. I might think I'm doing the right things by going to bed on time and such, but I wake up in the morning and I'm not ready to go. I hate that feeling. Like, what else am I supposed to do? I've rested, why am I not rested?

Okay, so it's obviously a mindset thing. 

We tend....there I go again, I'm starting again....

I tend to start the day in the morning - I get up and do whatever and when I've done it, I rest at whatever time that is when I stop. Usually after dinner. Same for you?

How then do I change my mindset, and my actual schedule, so my day starts at night? 

I've just been on a bit of a search to see if I could find the devotion, but I couldn't find it. Wait, I'll check Proverbs 31, it was probably from there. 

Ah yes, success!! Here it is - Laying Me Down to Sleep by Rachel Olsen. 

(Proverbs 31 Ministries is a ministry for women. I get their daily devotion delivered to me by email each day. They've been a great source of encouragement for me over the years)

Did you read it? Rachel explains it beautifully. 

The sacred rhythm is rest, rise, work rather than rise, work, rest. 

There's something in that. Something big. 

I'm near the printer; I'm going to print it out. 

Rest

Rise

Work

Rest 

Rise 

Work 

How do I change my mindset from rise, work, rest to...

Rest 

Rise 

Work?

I'm going to:

1. Print it out.

2. Use some washi tape to stick it on the wall in the kitchen.

3. Look at those words each day and let it seep in. I find I have to print things out and put them in front of my face for a while until I get the message.  

4. Pray as I'm going to sleep that I'll rest and replenish and my sleep will prepare me for the next day. 

5. Draw a line in the sand right now and say, "Right, today's done, it's over. Lord, let my rest time tonight (while I'm still awake and then as I sleep) prepare me for tomorrow."

What else does Rachel suggest? (I'm printing her devotion, too)

She suggests: "Make intentional plans for how you will end this day in a way that is peaceful, restful and connects your heart with God."

Yep, good, sounds good. I've printed the Rest, Rise, Work sign a few times and I'm going to stick one on our bathroom mirror, so I'll see it later when I go to bed. The others will be stuck in the kitchen and around the place wherever I stick them! 

Genesis 1:7-8 NIV
So God made the expanse and separated the water under the expanse from the water above it. And it was so. God called the expanse 'sky'. And there was evening, and there was morning - the second day. 

Wow. 

Wow number 1 - He did that just like that. Did He do it just like that? Seems like it. He's a creative God - He pulled it together pretty well even if it did take Him all day. I can't clean my house in one day, let alone make the sky. 

And wow number 2 - there it is. "And there was evening, and there was morning - the second day."

Sun down has come, a new day has begun! 

Let the preparing and preparation for tomorrow begin! 

It just seems more doable to prepare for a new day than to constantly try to recover from one, am I right? (With God's help, of course)

It's definitely a change of mindset. 

It's just looking at things differently. 

And that, my friends, is what emotional healing is all about. Just looking at things differently, with God's help, because honestly, who can do it on their own? Not me. 

Thank you, Lord, for Your ways. They're always higher than ours, I know that. I love it when I get a glimpse of the way you think. You're always so right. Thanks for just being 'on it' all the time. Your stability and the fact that You know everything are two of my very favourite things about You.

Goodnight! 

:o)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment!